Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Kay Shelton's statement before the city council on May 29, 2007

Truth, justice, and the American Way shouldn’t just be a fantasy from an old TV show. I want it in the public record that there were numerous reports in the media regarding nonsense in the recent local election. I do not believe that enough people understand the seriousness of how important voting is. Not everything made it into the media, yet.

I found out after the election that some voters and reporters were told that I dropped out of the race. Other voters were told that I was not a real candidate but that I was a “plant” by Kapitan to split the vote so he would win. That disinformation has as much truth to it as Elvis Presley is alive and well, and living in DeKalb.

When I was a kid, I played softball on a team that lost every game. But, I would rather lose honestly, fairly, and with honor than to win through lying, cheating, and dishonor. I learned when I was a kid that it’s not who wins or loses but how you play the game. Based on the election antics, I suppose soccer Coach Wogen never learned the same valuable lesson.

I heard Coach Wogen’s apology a couple of weeks ago on the radio. Let’s try a sports analogy (although from baseball) to make sure everybody understands how serious lying is. I had the privilege and honor to meet U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald, easily one of the most honest, unbiased, and fair individuals I will ever meet. Prosecutor Fitzgerald also has the best and most memorable description of lying, which is like “. . . throwing sand into the umpire’s face.”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

the real name of your website should be www.getyourownlife.com/growupand getoverit!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, but I don't have any intention of letting Alderman Wogen slide.

Anonymous said...

Kay's just upset because she lost!
I'd feel real sorry for the town of DeKalb if she ever got on the City Council! We'd all have to pack up and move to another town! I know I would for sure!

Anonymous said...

I'll remember that in a few years when the election comes around again. And while your at it take Wogen with you!!!!!!!!!